As part of the New ISB Network, a new route, Service E, was introduced to provide Engineering and SDE with connections to UTown. It ran at certain periods on term time weekdays in an anticlockwise loop around Clementi Road and Kent Ridge Crescent.
Service E was announced on 14 June 2021, along with the rest of the New ISB Network which was planned to begin on 19 July. However, as it was not scheduled to operate during vacations, its first day of service would be 2 August, the first Monday of the school term.
The route’s path of travel was very similar to the Zone A sector of Service AA2 during the zoning period, differing by stopping at more stops and heading back to UTown to end instead of turning right to UHC. This service was unique in that it operated in a continuous loop fashion. On route maps, it was indicated as starting and ending at UTown, but in practice it was possible to remain on the Service E if it was not terminating as the bus would continue on to Raffles Hall. This continuous loop operation was recently trialled on the NUS Direct Lunch Shuttle.
Service E did not run during the entire day, but operated during certain cross-faculty peak periods at intervals of 15 minutes. At launch, the service periods were: 8am to 10am, 11.15am to 2pm and 3.15pm to 4pm.
The introduction of Service E saw a new bus stop added to the network – SDE 3, aka NUS Fac of Architecture (16149), which served the School of Design and Environment. Its counterpart across the road, Opp SDE 3, was served by the new Service K.
A new sixth-generation route map was introduced for the service, featuring the route overlaid on a black-and-white map of the Kent Ridge Campus. Service E was coloured green on system maps, in a likely callback to the now-withdrawn Service B and UT-CCE Direct services which it indirectly replaced. In some way, E can trace its lineage to B and UT-CCE as it takes over connections between UTown, EA and IT from those services.
- History of Bus Routes Ep 1: D1/D2
- History of Bus Routes Ep 2: B1/B2
- History of Bus Routes Ep 3: C
- History of Bus Routes Ep 4: A1/A2
- History of Bus Routes Ep 5: BTC1/BTC2
- History of Bus Routes Ep 6: A1E/A2E
- History of Bus Routes Ep 7: HMK1
- History of Bus Routes Ep 8: AV1
- History of Bus Routes Ep 9: AA1/AA2
- History of Bus Routes Ep 10: BB
- History of Bus Routes Ep 11: CC/CCX
- History of Bus Routes Ep 12: DD1/DD2
- History of Bus Routes Ep 13: NUS Direct Lunch Shuttle
- History of Bus Routes Ep 14: E
- History of Bus Routes Ep 15: K
- History of Bus Routes Ep 16: L